Paul J. Willetts
Employment and Labour Lawyer
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Prior to founding Vey Willetts LLP, Paul worked at one of Canada's leading labour and employment law firms and at a large energy corporation. He has gained experience at the Court of Appeal for Ontario, the Superior Court of Justice, the Human Rights Tribunal of Ontario, the Ontario Labour Relations Board, and the Canada Industrial Relations Board, in addition to attending at numerous private arbitrations and mediations. Paul is dedicated to achieving the best possible result for his clients through exhaustive preparation, persuasive negotiation and staunch advocacy.
In addition to completing his law degree at the University of Ottawa, Paul holds degrees in political science from the University of Winnipeg (B.A. Hons.) and the University of Calgary (M.A.). Paul has published and presented research on a number of employment law topics, including employee privacy, workplace accommodation and severance packages. He has further been quoted in the media on workplace issues by CBC, Yahoo! Finance Canada, Ottawa Metro, Canadian HR Reporter and The Lawyer's Daily.
In his spare time, Paul sits on the Board of Directors at Big Brothers Big Sisters of Ottawa, and serves as Chair of the organization's Human Resources Committee. In addition, he also volunteers as legal counsel at the Pro Bono Ontario Employment Law Clinic. Outside of that, Paul enjoys playing and watching ‘football' and is a stalwart supporter of the perpetually-disappointing Wolverhampton Wanderers FC.
Areas of Practice
- Employment Law
- Labour Law
- Workplace Human Rights
- University of Ottawa, Faculty of Law, Ottawa
- University of Calgary, Calgary
- University of Winnipeg, Winnipeg
- B.A. (Hons.)
Recent Publications & Presentations
- Speaker, "Helpful Strategies for Growing Your Practice", Ontario Bar Association Professionalism and Practice Management Strategies for Labour & Employment Lawyers, November 2017
- Speaker, "Probationary Employment: New Obligations and Lost Rights", CCLA 37th East Region Litigation Conference, November 2017
- Speaker, "Liability and Letters of Reference", CCLA 6-Minute Employment Lawyer, September 2017
- Speaker, "Advising on Employee Bonus Entitlement: 'Active Employment' post-Paquette" CCLA 23rd East Region Solicitors Conference, May 2017
- Author, "Punitive Damages in Morison v. Ergo-Industrial Seating: The New 'Wallace Bump'?" The Advocates' Quarterly, Vol. 46, no, 4 (March 2017)
- Author, "Human Rights Law Today: Guidance for Individuals and Employers" HR Update, Ottawa Business Journal (May 2016)
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of Upper Canada
- County of Carleton Law Association
Pro Bono Activities
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Ottawa: Member, Board of Directors and Chair of Human Resources Committee
- Pro Bono Ontario Employment Law Clinic: Volunteer Legal Counsel
- County of Carleton Law Association: Member, New Lawyers Summit Planning Committee
I highly recommend Paul for his ability to deal with me while I was in complete shock and most importantly, to be able to gather additional, pertinent and helpful facts for my case. I would not hesitate to recommend Paul to family and friends if they required legal assistance in employment matters.
- Client Review (original here)
In very short order Paul understood my situation, proposed immediate recommendations, conducted relevant research, then implemented a brilliant and just solution which proved to be 100% successful!
- Client Review (original here)