Helping Small Businesses in the Capital Region
Small-business owners have a number of obligations to juggle. They must be responsive to the needs of their clients, to the shifting marketplace, to their partners and to their own families.
Keeping up to date and fully knowledgeable on all of their legal obligations as employers on top of all of that can be a challenge.
At Vey Willetts LLP, we help business owners protect themselves from workplace-related disputes and complications. We offer practical legal advice and representation to help you maintain an efficient, legally compliant workplace.
We have worked with a wide range of public and private workplaces, both unionized and non-unionized, including:
- Hydro-electric companies
- National banks
- Police departments
- Food and beverage providers
- Mining companies
An Ounce Of Prevention
Often, our clients come to us after a lawsuit has been filed against them over termination, health and safety, discrimination or other employment matters. We can help resolve disputes through mediation, or advocate on your behalf in court. We also represent clients before bodies such as the Ontario Labour Relations Board and the Human Rights Tribunal of Ontario, or in private arbitration.
Most of the time it's far more efficient for us to give advice and counsel before problems come up. Employers can save themselves an enormous amount of money and aggravation through surprisingly simple methods.
As part of our services for employers, our lawyers offer legal advice and representation in a number of areas such as:
- Employment contracts, including proper application and use of restrictive covenants, characterization of contractors, and well-drafted termination clauses
- Any matter related to the Ontario Human Rights Code
- Statutory compliance with employment standards such as breaks and overtime
- Workplace policies, including AODA, ESA, OHSA and privacy requirements
- Workplace investigations
- Workplace training
- Strategic human resources support
- Absenteeism and attendance management
- Collective agreement advice and interpretation
We also have a proactive approach to limiting your liability around termination, including discussing disciplinary methods, termination letters and employment standards.